Thursday, February 14, 2019

My Palestinian Flag


Every Friday, I fly a Palestinian flag in front of my cottage. Have done so for years. My reward is that every now and then, someone will ask what its all about. Just last Friday, a delivery man recognized it and thanked me for showing it. Neither of us are Palestinian. He explained that he was just committed to justice and the injustice meted out against the Palestinians is blatant and well known.

While we praised each other, in Gaza, Israel killed two more young men.

Two Palestinian youths were killed by Israeli fire Friday during the weekly protest near the Israeli fence east of Gaza. Hasan Shalabi was killed by Israeli live fire to the chest. He was 14. Hamza Shtewi, 18 died after a shot in the neck. Another 17 Palestinians were shot while protesting along the fence including two journalist and four medics.

The report goes on to say:

Israeli forces shot tear gas canisters at an ambulance and sprayed demonstrators with chemically enhanced sewage water known as “skunk juice”. Palestinians have for nearly a year gathered weekly for unarmed protest since March 30, last year. Protesters are also asking Israel to end its 12 year blockade of its coastal strip.[i]

Two young men who could have become doctors or engineers and made a valuable contribution to life. Now, thanks to Israel, they are dead.

I cannot say that I am surprised. This kind of needless killing has been going on for decades. A big portion of my anger is directed toward our media. News reporters who stick their heads in the sand, more interested in pleasing their advertisers than in standing up for truth or justice.

So, in protest, I fly my flag and Palestinians continue to die at the hands of Israel and with the full support of my government.  But, every now and then, someone will stop and ask,”What kind of flag is that?” And I get to explain a little history.

Then, they will ask. ”Why don’t we hear about this on the news?” and I get to say, “Good Question.”

Thomas Are
February 14, 2019


[i] Two Palestinian teens Killed by Israel gunfire in Gaza on 46th Week of Protest.
Al Jazeera, Feb. 8, 2019.

2 comments:

  1. Bravo. Humanity has failed the Palestinians for so long. Thankfully there are still those that care and speak out for the voiceless and downtrodden

    ReplyDelete
  2. I now have a Palestinian flag flying at my front door. THANK YOU for your courageous leadership Thomas Are!

    ReplyDelete